Friday, July 17, 2009


What an emtional roller coaster we've been on. Trying to come up with our birthing plan has been rough. When i told my doctor we made our decision he was kind of surprised and wanted me to go to a specialist of fetal medicine to do a thorough sonogram (more in depth then what they can give me in their office). This doctor made us feel the same way as before. It was up to us to pick inducing at 37 wks (w/ an amnio) or waiting until 39 wks. We talked about some risks of each but he said honestly either way I go he thought it will be fine. If i decided to 37 wks we'd set up an amnio next week and if not, we'd wait until 39 wks for lung maturity to reach it's maximum potential. He tried to get a decision out of us and Dave and I just looked more confused then ever. He said to think about it and to call my regular dr the next day to talk about it. What's been most frustrating is I am not the Dr and I do not know what's right. I am just waiting on someone (Dr or Fetal Specialist) to tell us that this is the best plan for us!

This whole time we'd been leaning toward the amnio until today when my regular Dr called me back and it was like talking to a whole other person. He was so frank with me and just laid it out. Decision made! He even told me more today then I knew before. I don't know why he was holding back or if he wanted to confirm info with the specialist. My doctor is a husband of 10 kids and has delivered tons of babies so i was just wanting him to talk to me like as if it was his wife or his baby being born! He truely is a great doctor and I have all faith in him but was looking for some direction.

So we learned that there's definate risks with the amnio b/c my baby is facing anterior not posterior and he would have to go through the placenta with the needle which can induce labor immediately if he ruptured my water. That would not be good since the point of the amnio is to see the lung maturity.

He also felt that either way I'd have a c-section b/c of the size of the baby and the chance of a shoulder diplaced amongst some other issues. He actually said if i waited until the 39th week he would do a c-section with no labor regardless due to the shoulder diplacement issue and the size of the baby amongst some other issues. :)

There's so much more to add but I am leaving it to that. Decision made: We were guided with a professional opinion and we're waiting out the 39 weeks until August 5th and we're having a c-section. With that being said, there's still a chance of going into labor before that but he monitors that with weekly appointments and nothing has shown signs of that yet! It's all in God's hands from here.

We'd still need your prayers and love. This has been a tough couple of days.

1 comment: